Earth Day Challenge brought to you by Solterra Ecoluxury Apartments
What is Earth Day?
Earth Day is an annual event, celebrated on April 22, to show support for environmental education and sustainability. It was first started in 1970 by Senator Gaylord Nelson from Wisconsin after being inspired by the anti-war “teach-ins” taking place on college campuses. He was worried that industrialized countries, such as the United States, were too carless with the environment following the events of an oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara in 1969. More than 20 million Americans celebrated the first Earth Day across the nation. Today, more than 500 million people in 175 countries celebrate this day!
What can YOU do to support Earth Day?
Solterra Ecoluxury Apartmentsin Scripps Ranch incorporates many green technologies in its construction. Many of our residents ask us what else they can do?
- Use only the water you need, and reuse when possible
- Help keep water clean by using environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Protect your local water source from pollutants, excess pesticides and garbage
- Walk, jog, ride a bike, or skip instead of driving
- Plant a tree or many trees!
- Take public transportation or carpool
- Save energy! Turn off lights in room when not in use
- Recycle your plastics, aluminum cans, and glass
- Bring your own bag when shopping for groceries instead of opting for paper or plastic
- Don’t litter! Properly dispose of trash and waste
- Raise awareness! Talk to others about the state of the environment, locally or globally
Challenge yourself and pick THREE activities you will perform to support Earth Day!